Have you ever sipped on an extremely hot beverage or forked your mouth with something hot enough to convince you of third degree burns in your tongue? We’ve all been there at some point in our lives and will definitely be at another. In today’s article let’s have a look at 5 ways to heal a burnt tongue, but before we begin, some people have a perpetual burnt tongue without sufficient or any apparent reason and that is a medical condition known as burning tongue syndrome, which shouldn’t be confused with a burn backed by a silly action.
- Mouth breathing: Instead of your nose, keep breathing from your mouth until you get some relief, since the cold air provides a soothing sensation to the burnt tongue thereby decreasing the pain significantly.
- Have an ice cream: Or an ice cube if you’re health conscious. Alternatively, you could keep making frozen smoothies or shakes for that added health benefit. This will reduce the inflammation in your tongue and prevent tissue damage as well. When you’re unable to keep doing it for a million possible reasons, just constantly keep taking small sips of cold water.
- Honey: This is not an independent remedy, but should be an addition to any other one mentioned in the article. Since honey has anti-inflammatory and anti-infectious properties relevant to burns, you should let a little of it sit on your burn for as long as possible before swallowing it. Doing it 3-4 times a day would prove most effective.
- Aloe Vera: This magical plant not only reduces the pain from the burn, but also has healing effects in addition to anti-inflammatory properties. All you need to do is extract fresh gel from the plant and cover up your burn with it as many times as you can through the day. Alternatively, to make it yummy and doubly effective, just add a little Stevia to the freshly extracted gel and freeze it so you can keep sucking on your sweet Aloe cubes.
- Yogurt: Another extremely effective remedy for reducing discomfort from a burnt tongue, you could have small cold yogurt bites all through the day and again, add Stevia and maybe also another natural flavour to make your ordeal interesting.