Neem in my view is one of the most Desi herb though it is widely appreciated and used worldwide. I can’t remember a single instance from my childhood where anyone at home had any skin or hair issue and my grandmother didn’t stir something up with Neem. In fact, children or adults who suffer from the deadly chicken pox are made to lay around neem leaves on their beds because of its high medicinal properties and natural goodness. Today let’s have a look at the 5 best ways to use neem for skin and hair.
- Dandruff: The high antifungal properties of neem help combat dandruff effectively and reduces inflammation on the scalp that is caused by constant scratching. Here’s what you can do, just boil a handful of neem leaves in water till you’ve made a good extract and then strain it to use the same water on your hair as a final rinse after you’re done shampooing your hair. Alternatively, you could mix neem oil and olive oil in a 1:2 ratio and give yourself a good head massage with it. Best would be to leave it on overnight but at least keep it for half an hour. Neem additionally promotes hair growth and conditions the hair. You could always mix some Neem oil in your regular hair oil even if you don’t face hair related issues.
- Eczema and Dry Skin: Eczema is that dreadful skin condition that causes severe irritation, dryness and redness and can be effectively treated with neem. Neem acts as a natural humectant that protects moisture loss from the skin and creates a protective shield. It also heals the inflammations and abrasions. Just mix in a few drops of neem oil with coconut oil to apply on the body and leave it overnight for effective results.
- Dark Circles: The significant amount of antioxidants in Neem combined with its other healing properties work wonders on under eye pigmentation. All you need to do is mix Neem powder with enough milk or water and apply the pack under your eyes every day for 10-15 minutes.
- Acne: The anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties of Neem help in treatment of acne. This one is a spot treatment so only apply on the affected areas- mix coconut and Neem oil in a 1:1 ratio and apply on the acne affected areas for 1 hour before washing off with lukewarm water. Do it once daily for effective results.
- Large pores: Another great benefit of this wellness herb is that it acts as a natural toner and tightens large pores while solving issues with both, blackheads and whiteheads. Just add 2-3 drops of Neem oil to a cotton ball soaked in clean water, swipe it across your face and go to bed, your skin will feel fresher each morning while tightening your pores gradually and helping you get rid of white and black heads permanently with daily usage.